Sort Table by Field Count

This one really has me stumped.  Please look at the screen shots below.  In one card I was somehow able to get the sort to read 'Count of [Field Name]' but in the other, it attempts to sort by the value of that field.  I cannot figure out how I was able to get the highlighted aggregation option in my Text sort.

Best Answer

• RGranada
    RGranada Contributor
    Answer ✓

Ok ,

So, I think that in a datatable you will only have the aggregation enabled in the sorting section if there is at least one aggregated field  (with a calculation other then no aggregation) (even the field in question) in the data table itself.

Hope this helps.

Ricardo Granada 

MajorDomo@Lusiaves

**If the post solves your problem, mark it by clicking on "Accept as Solution"
    **You can say "Thank you" by clicking the thumbs up in the post that helped you.

Answers

• RGranada
    RGranada Contributor

Hi,

You seem to be sorting on a BeastMode, do you have an aggregation function inside that Beastmode (SUM,AVG,COUNT,...) ?

If so DOMO won't let you define a different aggregate in the sorting section.

Hope this helps.Don't hesitate to ask if you need more help on this.

Ricardo Granada 

MajorDomo@Lusiaves

**You can say "Thank you" by clicking the thumbs up in the post that helped you.
  • It's a beast mode concatenation.  I'm taking first, middle, and last name and making a full name column.  But the odd thing is it's the same field in two different cards, reading off of the same dataset.  As you can see in the screenshot, one allows for a 'count of' while the other does not.

• RGranada
    RGranada Contributor

Are the chart types the same?

Ricardo Granada 

MajorDomo@Lusiaves

• Yes, both are data tables.  I'm tracking, by name, the total times a person is seen performing an event.  Basically if their name appears, then they are counted.  I then want to sort descending by that number.  If I can't sort as I am trying, is there a better way to do so?

• RGranada
    RGranada Contributor
    Answer ✓

Ok ,

So, I think that in a datatable you will only have the aggregation enabled in the sorting section if there is at least one aggregated field  (with a calculation other then no aggregation) (even the field in question) in the data table itself.

Hope this helps.

Ricardo Granada 

MajorDomo@Lusiaves

• @RGranada That was it.  Thank you!

This discussion has been closed.