Postgres Data Flows

I'm new to Domo and finding my way around, so apologies if I'm asking an obvious question.

I've set up Postgres DataSets and they seem to work just fine. I've now noticed that there are SQL DataFlows based on either MySQL or Redshift (which is a fork of an old version of Postgres.)

Is there any plan to support Postgres 9.x as a DataFlow?

Is there anything special about a SQL DataFlow that I can't accomplish with a regular Postgres DataSet that is then used in a DataFlow?

Thanks!

Best Answers

• DataSquirrel
    DataSquirrel Contributor
    Answer ✓

Thanks a lot for the frank and detailed answer. I'm surprised that Postgres isn't more popular, it's just so much more capable and well implemented than MySQL, but it's pretty interesting to learn that it doesn't come up.

When you mention "let Domo know", can you or somone tell me the right way to do that? I think I'm supposed to do that in the Ideas forum, is that right?

Again, thanks for the answer.

• AS
    AS Coach
    Answer ✓

You're very welcome.

There are a few ways to get that feedback to Domo.  One would be the Ideas Exchange here in the Dojo.  There, others can upvote your idea, and that garners attention from Domo product managers.  The more votes the better, and your Dojo status increases with more likes.  Another avenue would be simply contacting Domo support (phone/email/Buzz) and offering your idea.  You can also click on the Feedback option of your main menu to write in comments.  If you're close with your success manager or account executive you can also speak with him/her.  They might have inside info.

Aaron
    MajorDomo @ Merit Medical

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the heart in the post that helped you.
    **Please mark the post that solves your problem by clicking on "Accept as Solution"

Answers

• In my time as a Domo employee and since then, I have never heard a request for additional PostgreSQL capability.  Not to say it hasn't happened, but I don't think it's common.  You should probably provide feedback to Domo, though, to make sure your voice is heard.

Dataflows don't much care what kind of data you put into them.  It all looks the same to AWS.   Your selection of SQL type (or Magic ETL, for that matter) just has more to do with authoring and what you're comfortable with.  That, and MySQL and Redshift have their own capabilities that might sway you to one or the other.  Likewise, Magic ETL has some niceties, like collapsing columns, that SQL doesn't.  SQL dataflows, generally, are more sophisticated than Magic ETL. Does that answer your question? 

Aaron

**Please mark the post that solves your problem by clicking on "Accept as Solution"
  • DataSquirrel
    DataSquirrel Contributor
    Answer ✓

Thanks a lot for the frank and detailed answer. I'm surprised that Postgres isn't more popular, it's just so much more capable and well implemented than MySQL, but it's pretty interesting to learn that it doesn't come up.

When you mention "let Domo know", can you or somone tell me the right way to do that? I think I'm supposed to do that in the Ideas forum, is that right?

Again, thanks for the answer.

• AS
    AS Coach
    Answer ✓

You're very welcome.

There are a few ways to get that feedback to Domo.  One would be the Ideas Exchange here in the Dojo.  There, others can upvote your idea, and that garners attention from Domo product managers.  The more votes the better, and your Dojo status increases with more likes.  Another avenue would be simply contacting Domo support (phone/email/Buzz) and offering your idea.  You can also click on the Feedback option of your main menu to write in comments.  If you're close with your success manager or account executive you can also speak with him/her.  They might have inside info.

Aaron

• Thanks a lot for the suggestions. Getting used to a new product also means learning the ropes with a new company. And with a product like Domo, that's arguably the most important part! Your pointers should help me make progress without banging my head against the wall. (I've been known to do this in life from time to time....)

• No problem.  Domo's a company that listens pretty well to customers, especially influential ones at that. They take feedback well.  Like most growing companies, the backlog is long and prioritized.  So if you can get visibility to your problem, it will receive the development effort you want.  And as always, it helps to know people.

Aaron