DataSet Access Review

bdetcher
bdetcher Member
edited March 2023 in Datasets

When our instance of Domo was launched a Page was created called "Scratch Pad" that allowed everyone in the company to see the reports built on the Scratch Pad.  One of Product Data Analysts started using this page to build a lot of his personal cards.  Once I found this out, I removed access to the Scratch Pad for all users except him, making it his own page.  

However, when training a new user this morning from our EMEA Operations I noticed that he still has access to datasets that were used on that page.  So even though I removed him from being able to see the Shared Page, the dataset access remains.  So this leads me to two questions: 

1) How do I remove the users access these datasets?  He no longer has access to the page, but Dataset access apears to have stayed since it was an option to choose from when he and I were building a test card this morning.  

2) Is there an easier way in Domo to be able to see exactly what Datasets each user has available to them?  

Best Answer

• jaredpk
    jaredpk Domo Employee
    Answer ✓

Hi -- Currently accesses are maintained through user permissions.  An admin can see everything, whereas someone who is a participant will have much fewer options on what is available.  If you are finding that new users are seeing datasets you do not want them to see, ensure that they are not admins and assign them to a lower permission level.  Privileged is a good option that allows a lot of functionality but limits dataset visibility.

To see the exact permissions you can go to the following URL:

https://domo.domo.com/admin/accessrights (replace domo.domo.com with your instance).

Also, note that custom security profiles are on the roadmap, so once those are available you will have much more flexibility on permissions.

Regarding point number 2, seeing who has access to what datasets is an excellent request.  Our product team is working on admin functionality that will provide that visibility.  In the meantime, you can contact support and they should be able to assist you in finding that out.

I work for Domo.
    **Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumbs up in the post that helped you.
    **Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"

Answers

• jaredpk
    jaredpk Domo Employee
    Answer ✓

Hi -- Currently accesses are maintained through user permissions.  An admin can see everything, whereas someone who is a participant will have much fewer options on what is available.  If you are finding that new users are seeing datasets you do not want them to see, ensure that they are not admins and assign them to a lower permission level.  Privileged is a good option that allows a lot of functionality but limits dataset visibility.

To see the exact permissions you can go to the following URL:

https://domo.domo.com/admin/accessrights (replace domo.domo.com with your instance).

Also, note that custom security profiles are on the roadmap, so once those are available you will have much more flexibility on permissions.

Regarding point number 2, seeing who has access to what datasets is an excellent request.  Our product team is working on admin functionality that will provide that visibility.  In the meantime, you can contact support and they should be able to assist you in finding that out.

I work for Domo.
    **Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumbs up in the post that helped you.
    **Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
  • I was not referring to Access Rights.  This a new user I am beginning to train to help launch Domo in our European subsidiary.  I set this user up a couple days ago, initially as a Participant.  I upgraded him to an Editor this morning.  I gave him access to two pages that only had cards from our EMEA datasets.  However, when we went through his list of available datasets, there were several Americas based datasets available for him to choose.  

I will contact support to figure out how to remove his access.  

Thanks, 

• Thanks for letting us know.

Here is the link for Domo Support. Once you close this out with support please let us know what you learned so it can be shared with others.

Regards,

• Hello-

I'd like to know if we have any additional visibility on viewing datasets that a user has access to.

Is there an ETA on when that might be available in the UI.

Can you also shower some light on what additional features to capture user metrics are going to be added apart from the DOMO metrics tab.

Also, currently, there's no way of seeing how a dataset or dataflow is being used downstream in the lifecycle.

• After discussing with Domo Support, I realized that even though I took their access away by removing the page from the "Default" Group they "Editors" and "Privledged" users still had access to the datasets on that page through "Cards" that had been assigned to the Group.  Ended up having to go through all of the cards in the "Default" group and removing their access from the Default Group.  

This has led to another issue where some users lost access to certain cards.  To fix, I just have to remove them from a page and re-add them.  Not sure why its happening and it appears to be random in nature though as some users are experiencing the issues and others are not.