Ability to Add new Column to exiting WebForm

Hi folks,

as it says on the tin...

Ability to Add new Column to exiting WebForm.

Currently we are not able to add a new column to an existing WebForm.

To work around this we need to create a new WebForm.

This is restrictive and frustrating when apart of a larger complex dataset.

Vote Up.

Thanks,

Rgds,

K.

Comments

• @Kurbz

Thanks for submitting  this. Is this idea the same as yours or different?

If it is the same then please vote it up and we can mark this as a duplicate. Otherwise we will assign it to review once it gets at least 1 vote.

Regards,

Dani

• Kurbz
    Kurbz Member
    Hi.
    They are both different.
    I'm referring to a flat Web form on its own. Need to create a new form to add new columns.

The other refers to adding a column to any dataset and having new functionality to push that column into other datasets derived from the original ds.

Rgds.
  • Kurbz
    Kurbz Member

any update on this guys?

thanks!

K.

• You've probably seen by now, but this functionality has been added!  Yay!!!  

Next thing we need to rally for is Filter/Sort capabilities!!!  

DataMaven
    Breaking Down Silos - Building Bridges
    **Say "Thanks" by clicking a reaction in the post that helped you.
    **Please mark the post that solves your problem by clicking on "Accept as Solution"
  • yep,

awsome ?

now, for my other few ideas in the tube ?

thanks to all the Domor's involved.

rgds,

K.

*ya might need to update the status to resolved or something.

• I actually dont see this functionality added?

Am I missing something?

Edit WebForm, right click (everywhere), add column is greyed out?

K

• @btm

Can we get some clarity for @Kurbz on this?

Thanks!

Dani

• howdy,

Thanks for following up @DaniBoy

it works on a new Form that isnt saved, ie i can insert a column betwen two existing columns... but i could also just copy and move the data to the right to do that anywyas.

But if I want to modify an existing Form and add a column then its the same as previous.

image.png

K.

•  

How you highlight matters on this one.  You have to right click up where the B is.  

For the rows, it's the same, but you click where the row numbers are.  

Insert Columns - Webform.png

DataMaven
    **Please mark the post that solves your problem by clicking on "Accept as Solution"
  • Thanks @DataMaven I'm at a loss with this one tho.

Even your Column Header Details look different.

Obviously i'm missing something stupid here ?

• OK...First...how did you do that video??? 

Second...I thought this was fully deployed, but I could be part of a pilot phase.  They do gradual roll-outs of features sometimes. 

Ask your technical consultant or other contact at Domo how to get that functionality (not sure what phase of the process you are in).  It's really handy, given how much you appear to use the webforms.  I assume that you are having the same challenge with newly created ones, which leads me to believe it must be a phased roll-out. 

Out of curiousity - What do you use webform for?  I use them for mapping data attributes and for storing information, like metadata.  Curious what others do. 

DataMaven
  • dam hotel wifi dropped and dropped my submit, here i write again ?

I use Snagit for image and video capture, excellent features, functionality and extensions.

Am unsure what phase i am in, all i know is that it dosnt work for me. 

curiosity made the cat smarter, but he was killed by his superiors as he became a threat.

I use webforms for static data, forecasting & testing.

yes i could just upload an excel or csv, but why, i thought the webform was a webform!?!

so on the WebForms....

'Web' 'Form'... suggests its a form on the web, thru domo.

well as we know, its not, its a dataset, which we have to enter thru datasets to modify.

Now, wouldnt it be awsome to have an actual Web Form.

where i can share the webform with a user and they access it and modify it as they wish.

This should be similar to a google sheet, now thats a webform.

anyways.

Appriciate the feedback and comms. keep it up!

K.

• SnagIt...ahhh SnagIt...when I use other people's computers who don't have SnagIt or don't have the same shortcuts set up, I twitch!!!  I have to admit that I primarily use it for region screen capture and some things you'd normally beat your head against the wall using Paint for.  But video snippets...I will be exploring further! 

"Curiosity made the cat smarter, but he was killed by his superiors as he became a threat."

This needs to be a sign...did you make this up?  Google gives me nothing.  I am very fortunate to have the best boss ever.  He routinely says that he hopes to work for me one day, so I finally don't have to worry as much about being foiled by my superiors...but it's been an issue!  I work from home, so I can actually make this a sign on my wall (and I think I will). 

I asked my contact at Domo about not being able to add columns.  The thing I hadn't asked you was if you are the owner of the webform.  I assume you are, but if you are not, that could be why.  Otherwise, I would contact Support because he said that it's a standard feature. 

On the webform updates...I found a trick!  Testing SnagIt video...Let me know if it works. 

With this method - you can also create a fresh webform, which will then become a DataSet, but I wanted to show you how to get an existing one to work, too.  With the existing one, you are making a table card, and can include as many or as few attributes as you would like. 

(view in My Videos)

Here's the text of my instruction card you will see in video, in case it helps...

Cards are table views of the Webforms.

To Add/Edit content:
      - Click Wrench
      - Select "Connect / Update Data"
      - Select "Edit Webform"
      - Make Changes
      - Save & Continue

Enjoy!

DataMaven
  • ok...and sound off next time...lol

@glenngrossman Here's that thread I told you about.  ?

DataMaven
  • Great dialogue guys!!!

Also there is an embed video button in the Dojo word editor.

Thanks!
    Dani

• sup,

yea, snagit rocks. period.

"Curiosity made the cat smarter, but he was killed by his superiors as he became a threat."

thats mine, just made it up tonight. ? it actually reflects my current working conditions, hence....

welcome to print it, i have a record here of its initial use, so my IP is covered ? I used to work from home, then my 1980s style manager came down on my ass when i worked from home, so i 'attend' onsite now, work is reduced from 11 hours to 3 travel and 8 onite. huge reduction in productivity and energy. Went in for role as technical BA for a global blockchain project working from home... maybe that will come good, but my rate is over the allocated.. want to move away from doing to directing/leading anyways, pending correct oppertunity. (sorry rambling).

I am the owner of the WF yes.

thanks for the video, i got excited there, but alas it fails to even produce the same column detail as yourself, hence it must be a release issue, i simply dont have this capabliity at the mo'/

(view in My Videos)

I think we can friend on this platform yea, well, i shall friend you. thanks for the interaction and feedback. we need more of this in general on the forum. the users can make domo not great, but superb. (and we can ignore the past few years of secretcy ? hehe.

thanks @DataMaven

K.

• Being the smarter cat can really be a predicament because you have to be quiet about it.  My last boss told me that I came up with solutions too fast, and it put people off.  He said that when we are having meetings where challenges are posed, to keep quiet, and that he'd ask me for my answer after people have had a chance to answer.  He said that others were demotivated and didn't feel like they were part of the process when I just kept giving solutions.  So - I would sit there and draw my solution, and pass it to my boss on the way out.  Then not do any work on it until they finally woke up 6 month later with a fire drill.  I enjoyed saying..."6 months ago I had time...I'm pretty busy now"  (I can be a jerk when needed)

Listening to your video...THAT is why I can't go into the office...and also because I don't give people a sporting chance in meetings, and it's good if they don't see me roll my eyes and doodle.  Inside of my head is noisy enough without the distraction of water cooler talk.  I get nothing done when I go into the office.  Plus...yes...that commute time is useless.  Books on tape...And the library will have loads of them.  When I had a commute, I caught up on classics I never got around to reading and fun series' like Lemony Snickett. 

The column detail...depends on what is in your webform, no?  I know you can't add more, annoyingly, but you should be able to edit the contents just like you can through the dataset pathway.  That, with the instructions, makes it easier for contributors to update content for you. 

Yes - Friend me.  I don't know if it's a 2-way thing, but I have friended you.  By the way - Dojo-stalking is WAY more interesting than Facebook-stalking!!! 

I noticed that your video has 'Buy Domo' banner across the top.  What's that about?

DataMaven
  • Thanks!  @DaniBoy  The Dojo is dangerous for me...I go in to search something, and fall down the rabbit hole! 

DataMaven
  • @DataMaven

We are trying to make this an amazing experience, rabbit holes and all ?

Can you elaborate on the search challenges? Sometimes the system is particular on an exact word matche so fewer words in the search may provide a better set of results for you.

Congrats to you and @Kurbz on your new belts! Keep up the great dialogue!

Cheers!

• second time tonight the wifi dropped and cut my response. here i go agian..

bottom line, you are in the wrong job.

your IQ, EQ and AQ are likely to high and also your are probably to experianced for the team/company. you need to leave and get out of your compfort zone, reach higher. working from home for you is just a fix for the issue, it does not address the problem as outlined above.

anyways....

again, re: webform, waiting on domo dudes to confirm why i dont have the add column functionality.

#friend for sure, unsure what it does, but hey its done. maybe i get alerts when you comment, i dunno, will see.

re: 'Buy Domo'... its my trial/test account, i'll say no more.

K

cats, continously being killed by superiors 

• Connecting the dots on 'Domo trial' and 'cat mortality'...Been there.  I luckily got picked up by a different manager who got behind me on Domo, but we are still fighting with IT for full approval.  They REALLY want me to use Qlik or Tableau or Alteryx...UGH!!!  Qlik makes me seasick and sad, Tableau is glorified pivot tables, and Alteryx is only half a tool. 

I'm submitting a topic to see if I can be a speaker at Domopalooza.  I'm told that the way I use Domo throughout my workday is kind of unique...more to come!  Will be "The Softer Side of Domo - A Juggling Lesson"...or something like that. 

On the IQ/EQ/AQ...We did the Strengths Finder test in a mentoring group I was in, and I scored really high in the attribute that means that you can make connections between things and ideas faster than other people, and extrapolate further into the future.  So...At least I got confirmation that I'm not just a jerk, and that I really do see what's coming and how to prevent it 6 months to a year ahead.  lol 

Alright - have journeyed beyond column additions.  Will have to strike up a PM.  Plus - I have to go run before it gets crazy dark!

DataMaven
  • It's definitely a great experience.  The ability to mark things as read or something would be cool, and I will think up a few other things that I know I've bumped into, but it's quite addictive. 

When I said that I come to the Dojo to search challenges.  I was simply meaning to search for solutions for challenges I am running into.  I try not to use the word "Issue" for things that are due to a lack of knowledge, and something's not a "Problem" unless it's persistently causing issues. 

The search has been great at helping me find solutions, where there is one, and identify how broadly my pain is shared if there isn't one.  I have found a couple defects that aren't discussed, which is interesting, but for one Hagoth has a ticket in to Support, and others I just have workarounds for. 

Really excited to be up a belt!  Got a smile from my boss.

DataMaven
  • Thanks @DataMaven!

Keep the Dojo feedback coming and so glad you and @Kurbz have connected. We will have to get you to the Dojo awards ceremony at Domopalooza at the rate you guys are going!

Looking forward to your speaker submission, it's a great opportunity!!!

Cheers!

• domoplaza has just occured, are you telling me i have to do a full year of this chit chat ?  ? ? ?

rocking, love it. stay cool

• Kurbz,

We are actually in the planning stages right now and its almost 6 months away from now! 

Orange belts and higher will get invites so you're in, but if you want to be on the big stage with cool premium products then chit chat away to reach the higher belts!

Have a good evening!

• See ye there!
  • I can't wait!  I had such a great time in March.  Next year will be interesting, too, at the new venue!

Glenn mentioned the main stage, too.  Darn theatre degree...

DataMaven
This discussion has been closed.