Facebook Insights

RobynLinden
RobynLinden Contributor

Domo has provided new connectors (in Beta) -- hooray!

However, the documentation doesn't go over what metrics to work with for Facebook insights, for example. Hoping this thread can be a place to gather information on what happens when you connect a social account with Domo, and how to make the most of it.

I know there will be an App store with canned reports at some point (hooray again), but until that time, some help would be great.

Anyone an expert in Facebook + Domo yet?

Broadway + Data

Best Answers

• tbrock
    tbrock Domo Employee
    Answer ✓

@timscott

Hey Tim, our Facebook connection requires that user's credentials be tied to a Facebook business page with either "Analyst" or "Admin" permissions. So you can choose to your personal Facebook creds, but you have to be added as an "Admin" or "Analyst" on your company business page before you can start pulling reports with data. 

I work for Domo.
    **Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumbs up in the post that helped you.
    **Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
  • tbrock
    tbrock Domo Employee
    Answer ✓

@srosen Thanks for brining up this concern. These reports are available but are currently not available via public view of the Facebook connector. If you reach out to your Business Consultant or Technical Consultant then they can grant you access to those reports providing data on the post-level. 

The reports you will want are called "Page Posts" and "Page Post Lifetime Metrics". 

If you perform a left join on the ID and Page Name it will provide a rich set of metrics for individual posts (domo Support or your technical consultant can help you with this). 

Thanks. Let me know if you have any questions. 

Tanner

I work for Domo.

Answers

• nalbright
    nalbright Contributor

Actually, I will be looking to start doing this asap for my company's data in Facebook, Linked In, and Twitter (at least).  As we develop expertise we can share it.

"When I have money, I buy books. When I have no money, I buy food." - Erasmus of Rotterdam
  • RobynLinden
    RobynLinden Contributor

That's terrific, thank you. 

Broadway + Data
  • nalbright
    nalbright Contributor

You're very welcome.  Please do share what you find out as well.

"When I have money, I buy books. When I have no money, I buy food." - Erasmus of Rotterdam
  • swyatt
    swyatt Contributor

I'm not sure if this helps, but I saw that in the Help Center:

Description

Complete Page Insights

Returns a full list of available insights for pages selected under Accounts.

Page FansReturns information on users who have “liked” the pages selected under Accounts
    Page Fans by Age, GenderReturns information on users who have “liked” the pages selected under Accounts, broken down by age and gender. 
    Page Fans by CityReturns information on users who have “liked” the pages selected under Accounts, broken down by city. 
    Page Fans by CountryReturns information on users who have “liked” the pages selected under Accounts, broken down by country.
    Page Fans by Like SourceReturns information on users who have “liked” the pages selected under Accounts, broken down by the most common places that users can “like” the page. 
    Page Fans OnlineReturns information on users who have “liked” the pages selected under Accounts, broken down by the hours in which they are online. 
    Page Impressions by Age, GenderReturns information on users that have seen any content associated with the pages selected under Accounts, broken down by age and gender.
    Page Impressions by CityReturns information on users that have seen any content associated with the pages selected under Accounts, broken down by city.
    Page Impressions by CountryReturns information on users that have seen any content associated with the pages selected under Accounts, broken down by country.

Page Impressions by View Frequency

Returns information on users that have seen any content associated with the pages selected under Accounts, broken down by the number of times they have seen the content.

Page Impressions DetailsReturns metrics relating to how many people saw or interacted with the pages selected under Accounts.

Page Info

Returns information about pages selected under Accounts.

Page Interactions Returns metrics relating to how many users interacted with certain parts of the pages selected under Accounts

• RobynLinden
    RobynLinden Contributor

Thank you @swyatt, that is helpful.

I've edited this post to remove what was originally a method I thought was working but... is not. Sorry!

Broadway + Data
  • swyatt
    swyatt Contributor

No worries. I'm looking through the Twitter tables as well. I'm just trying to figure the best way to present this information, but it seems we're limited on number values. 

• RobynLinden
    RobynLinden Contributor

Related - my Facebook data is only coming in for mid April to present -- any idea if we can get data going further back in history? I'm concerned my users won't want to use Domo for Facebook if the historic data is so limited.

Broadway + Data
  • swyatt
    swyatt Contributor

It seems that scenario will require you to append over time. One of the Domo tech engineers built our AdWords playbooks by turning one of the output sources labeled (Adwords History) into one of the input sources. Basically the source is feeding itself every day.

• RobynLinden
    RobynLinden Contributor

Thanks @tbrock, this is helpful. Can you talk some more about the append vs replace option -- perhaps which type of Facebook reports should be appended vs replaced?

Also, i have set the data to update hourly, however none of my cards are showing data for 5/14/15, which is today. Is Domo able to pull current date data, or should I set my reports to pull at midnight since I can't see today anyway?

Broadway + Data
  • tbrock
    tbrock Domo Employee

@RobynLinden 

Good question. Here is a quick summary on how they both work:

Replace: If your data source is set to replace, the data set will be renewed every time the data source runs between the start and end date specified. Currently, this is set for 30 days within the connector. 

-- I have found Facebook is sporatic in reporting data for the current day, but we have the connector set up to pull current day data when it is available. I usually have my data sources update once a day, just so I don't strain the API if I am dealing with tons of data.

Append: I will confirm my understanding of Append and get back to you tomorrow, but my first initial thought is that if you set your data source to append at this time you will start seeing duplicates in your data. I believe the data source will append 30 days of historic data starting from the time the data source ran. Ideally it would be nice if only 1 day of data was appended to your data set, after the first run of your data source, and not 30. I will check with the engineers and get back to you tomorrow on this. In the meantime, I would set your data source to replace to assure you don't start seeing duplicates. 

Thanks

I work for Domo.
  • tbrock
    tbrock Domo Employee

Hey @RobynLinden, I just wanted to confirm with you. I checked with engineering and currently if you set your data source to append, it will append 30 days of data every time the data source runs, so you will start seeing duplicates when appending. I suggest replacing for the time being. I will keep you up-to-date on feature releases that come to our Facebook connection. 

Thanks

I work for Domo.
  • RobynLinden
    RobynLinden Contributor

Thank you! I appreciate the follow up!

Broadway + Data
  • swyatt
    swyatt Contributor

Hello,

Do you know if this is the case with Google Analytics? After gaining access to the new connector, I noticed our techs had set all connectors to Append. I did the same with new playbooks I created. Please advise.

• tbrock
    tbrock Domo Employee

@swyatt

Good question, I know we are working on getting more documentation around this.

The Google Analytics reports pull either 30 or 365 days worth of data per report. We have set the reports up to pull that history on the first initial run of the data source, and then start appending one day of day on subsequent runs. So you will want to set all your Google Analytics' data sources to append. 

Thanks

I work for Domo.
  • swyatt
    swyatt Contributor

Thank you very much for your prompt reply!

• Would like to create this connection.  I was told by our content curator that our Facebook account "is tied to individual accounts and doesn't have a basic log in."  What credentials are needed to build this connector?

• tbrock
    tbrock Domo Employee
    Answer ✓

@timscott

Hey Tim, our Facebook connection requires that user's credentials be tied to a Facebook business page with either "Analyst" or "Admin" permissions. So you can choose to your personal Facebook creds, but you have to be added as an "Admin" or "Analyst" on your company business page before you can start pulling reports with data. 

I work for Domo.
  • @tbrock

It appears as though the default Facebook connector only provides data at the page-level; however, we require detailed data at the post-level. So in terms of the Available Metrics in the Graph API, that would be the sections: Page Posts, Page Post Impressions, Page Post Engagement, Page Video Posts, and Page Premium Video Posts. Can you tell me if there are any Facebook connectors that provide these post-level data? Thank you! 

• tbrock
    tbrock Domo Employee
    Answer ✓

@srosen Thanks for brining up this concern. These reports are available but are currently not available via public view of the Facebook connector. If you reach out to your Business Consultant or Technical Consultant then they can grant you access to those reports providing data on the post-level. 

The reports you will want are called "Page Posts" and "Page Post Lifetime Metrics". 

If you perform a left join on the ID and Page Name it will provide a rich set of metrics for individual posts (domo Support or your technical consultant can help you with this). 

Thanks. Let me know if you have any questions. 

Tanner

I work for Domo.
  • Awesome, thanks @tbrock !

This discussion has been closed.