How do I create a table where I can sum groups of values in a table?

I can't seem to figure out a way to sum up pageviews by slug (second column) across multple dates in my data. How do I go about doing this?

With the data below, I want to see a single instance for each slug (second column) with pageviews summed.

Mercury_News_Section_-_Bylines_-_Domo.jpg

Best Answer

• AS
    AS Coach
    Answer ✓

Like this:

sample heat table.jpg

Compared to this:

sample heat table 2.JPG

Aaron
    MajorDomo @ Merit Medical

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the heart in the post that helped you.
    **Please mark the post that solves your problem by clicking on "Accept as Solution"

Answers

• I think you have to remove the date column.  The aggregation occurrs across the lowest level of detail.  Without the date column, the lowest level of detail is custom dimension 22 x custom dimension 26 in this view.

Aaron

**Please mark the post that solves your problem by clicking on "Accept as Solution"
  •  

I've done that, but the Domo table appears to treat it as a separate line item even with the date removed.

• The only additional thing I can think of is to make sure the numerical column is actually summed, not just displayed, and that the other custom dimension(s) isn't causing the detail to split out also.

Aaron

• AS
    AS Coach
    Answer ✓

Like this:

sample heat table.jpg

Compared to this:

sample heat table 2.JPG

Aaron

• Thank you - that worked perfectly. I did a slight variation - I couldn't set Value1 to SUM and get it to work, but I used BeastMode to do a sum of Pageviews, now the grouping seems to work perfectly!

Victor

• is there a way to then filter by  the sum? example, if you want to filter pageviews greater than 10000? 

• AS
    AS Coach

At present you can't filter on aggregations, but Domo's aware of that need and are working on it.

There might be a way to use beast modes though. A conditional in a case statement like this:

CASE

WHEN sum(`value`) > 10000

THEN 'Yes'

ELSE 'No'

END

Use a filter like that, select just the 'Yes' values.  If it works depends on whether Domo does the sum on the individual raw data row or on the grouped row.

That might not work, but it's worth a shot.

Aaron

This discussion has been closed.