Beast Mode Help: Summary number to show % of transaction type

I have a dataset where there is a column name 'Ship Via Group' that contains three distinct values.  One of which, "Counter / WC" I need to show in the summary number for the card - "What percentage of orders are Counter / WC?" 

Sample data is attached, note that order number may appear multiple times because orders may have 1 or more items.

Here is the beast mode I tried, but am getting no value returned.  I'm a noob... I admit it...

(CASE when `Ship Via Group`='%Counter%' then COUNT(DISTINCT `Order Number`) else 0

END) / COUNT(DISTINCT `Order Number`)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you in advance!

Best Answer

• Godiepi
    Godiepi Coach
    Answer ✓
    Hi, lets fix your beastmode first to see if that gets you where you want to be. Do this instead: COUNT (DISTINCT CASE WHEN `Ship Via Group` LIKE '%Counter%' THEN `Order Number` ELSE 0 END) / COUNT (DISTINCT `Order Number
    Domo Arigato!

**Say 'Thanks' by clicking the thumbs up in the post that helped you.
    **Please mark the post that solves your problem as 'Accepted Solution'

Answers

• Godiepi
    Godiepi Coach
    Answer ✓
    Hi, lets fix your beastmode first to see if that gets you where you want to be. Do this instead: COUNT (DISTINCT CASE WHEN `Ship Via Group` LIKE '%Counter%' THEN `Order Number` ELSE 0 END) / COUNT (DISTINCT `Order Number
    Domo Arigato!

• swagner
    swagner Contributor

I have an issue that I can't seem to remedy... I have a pie chart that is displaying three different order modes.

There are a total of 173 unique order numbers:  

• 96 are "Our Truck"
    • 58 are "Counter / WC"
    • 19 are "UPS / MFT"

I am focused on the "Counter / WC" piece which by dividing the values stated above is 33.5% (58 / 173).

• PIE VALUE is Beast Mode:  COUNT(DISTINCT `Order Number`)
    • PIE NAME is "Ship Via Group" that contains the text values noted above.

Everything checks out in the pie chart (% and value for each item), all is well.

The Beast Mode for the summary number (which started this discussion) is overstating the count by 1 which causes the summary number and the chart value to not match.  The summary number is displaying 34.1% (59 / 173).

Is this a bug?  I have looked at my data, and don't see any issues - there are 58 orders.

Is there a way to subtract 1 in the Beast Mode?

• Based on the spreadsheet with the data you attached , Can you check the order number 14178051 , it looks like that one is both Counter / WC and Our Truck.

Domo Arigato!

• @swagner, I recommend testing a slight change to the beastmode to remove the ELSE 0 statement in the numerator because the COUNT DISTINCT will actually count the 0 as a distinct value and thus inflate your top number by 1.

COUNT (DISTINCT CASE WHEN `Ship Via Group` LIKE '%Counter%' THEN `Order Number` END) / COUNT (DISTINCT `Order Number)

Jacob Folsom
    **Say “Thanks” by clicking the “heart” in the post that helped you.
    **Please mark the post that solves your problem by clicking on "Accept as Solution"
  • Awesome! This works! ? Thank you!