Custom sorting axes

Hey folks,

I'm looking to create a chart using DAY OF WEEK. However, I can only sort the axis by descending or ascending. I want to display the bars in the order of the days of the week.

Two questions about this problem:

1) Does anyone know how to modify this?

2) What does Domo use as the default to order, if I don't specify any sorting? (i.e. in my case it started with Friday, then Saturday, then Sunday, etc.) I would think Domo would use the order in which the entries appear in the database, but that's not the case - in my case, first entry was Wednesday.

3) Assuming none of this funtionality exists... can we add it to the product backlog? Man Happy I think this would be useful.. not all metrics are presented alphabetical or numeric. Some examples that come to mind: city, day of week, different time periods that we assign names to, etc.

Comments

• There is this recommendation of creating a Beast Mode:

https://dojo.domo.com/t5/Card-Building/Custom-Sorting-Using-a-Field-Specifically-Sales-Funnel/m-p/17907#U17907

Does anyone know of a simpler way?

• Hi all,

Can anybody help out @phillipgornicki?

Thanks!

• Tclark07
    Tclark07 Domo Employee

@phillipgornicki,

I wanted to make sure the answer we discussed was also posted here in case anyone else had a similar question.

In order to sort by day of week you would have to create a beast mode filter that looks similar to this:

CASE
    WHEN `column` = 'MONDAY' THEN 1
    WHEN `column` = 'TUESDAY' THEN 2
    WHEN `column` = 'WEDNESDAY' THEN 3
    WHEN `column` = 'THURSDAY' THEN 4
    WHEN `column` = 'FRIDAY' THEN 5
    WHEN `column` = 'SATURDAY' THEN 6
    WHEN `column` = 'SUNDAY' THEN 7
    END

Also note that you may need to use the TRIM() function in case there are any extra white spaces. 

Thank you.

Domo Employee
    **Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumbs up in the post that helped you.
    **Please mark the post that solves your problem by clicking on "Accept as Solution"
  • When adding the custom sort to the "Sorting" field, it has no effect.  Attached is a screenshot and below is the code created in beast mode....what am I missing?

DomoSort.PNG

@TylerC wrote:

@phillipgornicki,

I wanted to make sure the answer we discussed was also posted here in case anyone else had a similar question.

In order to sort by day of week you would have to create a beast mode filter that looks similar to this:

CASE
    WHEN `column` = 'MONDAY' THEN 1
    WHEN `column` = 'TUESDAY' THEN 2
    WHEN `column` = 'WEDNESDAY' THEN 3
    WHEN `column` = 'THURSDAY' THEN 4
    WHEN `column` = 'FRIDAY' THEN 5
    WHEN `column` = 'SATURDAY' THEN 6
    WHEN `column` = 'SUNDAY' THEN 7
    END

Also note that you may need to use the TRIM() function in case there are any extra white spaces. 

Thank you.

I have created a sort and applied as shown, however it seems to have no affect, am I missing something? Below is my code/validated in beast mode.

(CASE
    When 'Month' ='January - 2016' THEN 1
    When 'Month' ='February - 2016' THEN 2
    When 'Month' ='March - 2016' THEN 3
    When 'Month' ='April - 2016' THEN 4
    When 'Month' ='May - 2016' THEN 5
    When 'Month' ='June - 2016' THEN 6
    When 'Month' ='July - 2016' THEN 7
    When 'Month' ='August - 2016' THEN 8
    When 'Month' ='September - 2016' THEN 9
    When 'Month' ='October - 2016' THEN 10
    When 'Month' ='November - 2016' THEN 11
    When 'Month' ='December - 2016' THEN 12
    When 'Month' ='January - 2017' THEN 13
    When 'Month' ='February - 2017' THEN 14
    When 'Month' ='March - 2017' THEN 15
    When 'Month' ='April - 2017' THEN 16
    When 'Month' ='May - 2017' THEN 17
    When 'Month' ='June - 2017' THEN 18
    When 'Month' ='July - 2017' THEN 19
    When 'Month' ='August - 2017' THEN 20
    When 'Month' ='September - 2017' THEN 21
    END)

• HA, after posting the question, I could see the nuance with my text nearby to compare - solved it.  Needed to use ` and not ' for the column name.  Now sorting as expected.

This discussion has been closed.