Find Most Recent Date

Hey all, I am trying to find a way to locate the most recent date in a table based on rows of multiple columns.  In other words, given a single case with variables X1, X2 and X3 I want the beastmode to find the latest date.  So if column 1 was 1/1/2015, column 2 was 2/2/2014 and column 3 was 5/1/2016 then the calculation would return 5/1/2016.  

Thanks all!

Best Answer

• AS
    AS Coach
    Answer ✓

Oh yeah, that's a different story.  Two dozen columns would be a nightmare with what I suggested.  

The SQL function GREATEST() would probably work well in this case but BeastMode doesn't have that function that I'm aware.

What's your use case, just finding a max value from an entire dataset? (try using a SQL dataflow with GREATEST)

Or max value from any number of dimensional breakdowns that might be chosen with a card filter? (not sure what to do there but you'd need a BeastMode)

Aaron
    MajorDomo @ Merit Medical

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the heart in the post that helped you.
    **Please mark the post that solves your problem by clicking on "Accept as Solution"

Answers

• I'd suggest doing something like max(max(x1),max(x2),max(x3)), but I don't think beastmode max functions will allow that.

Can you do a case statement with boolean?

case 
    when max(x1) >= max(x2) and max(x1) >= max(x3) then max(x1)
    when max(x2) >= max(x1) and max(x2) >= max(x3) then max(x2)
    when max(x3) >= max(x1) and max(x3) >= max(x2) then max(x3)
    end

Seemed to work for me when I tested it.

Aaron

**Please mark the post that solves your problem by clicking on "Accept as Solution"
  • Yes, however I was hoping for a more elegant solution because I have about two dozen columns that I need to check against.  

• AS
    AS Coach
    Answer ✓

Oh yeah, that's a different story.  Two dozen columns would be a nightmare with what I suggested.  

The SQL function GREATEST() would probably work well in this case but BeastMode doesn't have that function that I'm aware.

What's your use case, just finding a max value from an entire dataset? (try using a SQL dataflow with GREATEST)

Or max value from any number of dimensional breakdowns that might be chosen with a card filter? (not sure what to do there but you'd need a BeastMode)

Aaron

• kshah008
    kshah008 Contributor

@mbelmont, tagging you to check out AS's reply. 

• Yes, I am simply trying to find the most recent date from a table.  I think a SQL dataflow would work.  Thanks.

• rado98
    rado98 Contributor

For the non-SQL people like me....

Collapsing all date columns into a single column using ETL, then applying a MAX in ETL or beastmode should also do the trick

• I needed to do this with 16 source columns, with the added "fun", that

case when Col x > Col Y then Col x else Col y end —- had to be extended to:

Case when col x is null then col y when Col y is null then Col x when Col x > Col Y then Col x else Col y end…

I "handled" it with a total of 15 calculated fields max_ab, max_cd… max_op, max_abcd, … max_mnop, … max_a_h, max_i_p, then finally max_a_p.

This would have been SO much easier with a GREATEST function! As long as it correctly handled null values!