What happens when a user is deleted from an instance?

JustAGirlyGeek
JustAGirlyGeek Contributor
edited March 2023 in Datasets

We have had some users leave our organization. Before deleting them, as a temporary means of preventing them from logging in I have reset their passwords. I am curious as to what happens in the background when a user is deleted -- what happens to their cards, pages, datasets, etc if they own anything? Thanks in advance.

Best Answer

• cmarkum
    cmarkum Contributor
    Answer ✓

We have run into this. When deleting someone that owns cards you can change the ownership of pages, cards, datasources, to another owner prior to deleting them. When you click on "Delete Person" it will ask you to reassing the users DataSets before deleting. 

Capture.PNG

To find out the cards/pages owned by the user, you can go to their profile and find that out. You can also go to Admin/Cards or Pages and scroll through to find which cards/pages are owned by that user. 

The only issue that I have found is that you have to go to each card/page and Reassign the Owner. If you delete the user, there will be no owner on the cards. Once you do that, you can go to the cards and click "Assign Owner". 

I've added an Idea to be able to mass update owners. 

Answers

• cmarkum
    cmarkum Contributor
    Answer ✓

We have run into this. When deleting someone that owns cards you can change the ownership of pages, cards, datasources, to another owner prior to deleting them. When you click on "Delete Person" it will ask you to reassing the users DataSets before deleting. 

Capture.PNG

To find out the cards/pages owned by the user, you can go to their profile and find that out. You can also go to Admin/Cards or Pages and scroll through to find which cards/pages are owned by that user. 

The only issue that I have found is that you have to go to each card/page and Reassign the Owner. If you delete the user, there will be no owner on the cards. Once you do that, you can go to the cards and click "Assign Owner". 

I've added an Idea to be able to mass update owners. 

• Thanks @cmarkum! This is very helpful. I will search for your idea and upvote as I'm certain we will into that issue at some point.

• cmarkum
    cmarkum Contributor

There was already one there but I did make a comment. It looks like it has already be approved but more votes can hurt!

• Just found it and voted on it. Thanks again!