Can PDPs be used to filter out entire columns as opposed to specific values within a column?

In exploring the use of Personalized Data Permissions (PDPs), I wanted to determine if it was possible to filter out entire columns in a data set from view of people/groups, rather than just specific values within that column?  Some data sets we have created include rate and revenue detail in columns that we'd like to exclude from the view of specific people/groups with 'Editor' or lower levels of permissions/privileges.  

Comments

• PDP is used to limit records in the dataset, but doesn't have an option to remove or hide columns within the dataset.

A couple of ideas you can use to prevent people from seeing certain columns:

If you're end users have particpant level licenses, you can prevent them from seeing columns not included in your card by preventing them from being able to drill to the underlying data in a drill path. This option is found by going to a card and selecting Edit Drill Path from the wrench menu. On the drill path screen, you'll see a checkbox at the bottom for preventing drilling to the data. If you'd still like to allow them to see a table of data, but only with limited columns, use this method together with a drill layer that uses a table card. Then you can add only the columns to which you want them to have access.

You can also pass your dataset through a dataflow that selects only the columns to which you want end users to have access and then build your cards from that data instead of the original.

I hope that helps!

• kshah008
    kshah008 Contributor

@dmoes, did zcameron's reply help you out?

• rado98
    rado98 Contributor

Aternatevely, I think you can encript/password protect whole columns if uploading the data usign the workbench.

I have not tried it myself though.