Can I restrict users to just there data in a Dataset?

Can I restrict users to just view there data in a dataset? For instance, i have an expense dataset with units, can I assign the on the units a users is responsible for and keep him from seeing others?

Comments

• This is something that we do quite frequently and have found that using Publication Groups is the best method.  With a Publication Group, you can specifiy the exact criteria that someone must have in order to view data in the dataset.  For example, you could limit Mike Smith to only see expense reports where the full name field is equal to Mike Smith or where the territory field is equal to Southeast.  This becomes very useful if you want a lot of people to see the same card from the data set.

The downside to Publication Groups is that you lock down the user from other funcationality that Domo provides, namely using the iOS app or using Favorites.  

• Does this also restrict them from drill through?

• Drill functionality works as long as they are granted access to the drill dataset in the publication group.  Page and card analyzers work as well.

• kshah008
    kshah008 Contributor

@lhallacy, did any of tylersnielsen's replies help answer your question?

• @tylersnielsen wrote:

This is something that we do quite frequently and have found that using Publication Groups is the best method.  With a Publication Group, you can specifiy the exact criteria that someone must have in order to view data in the dataset.  For example, you could limit Mike Smith to only see expense reports where the full name field is equal to Mike Smith or where the territory field is equal to Southeast.  This becomes very useful if you want a lot of people to see the same card from the data set.

The downside to Publication Groups is that you lock down the user from other funcationality that Domo provides, namely using the iOS app or using Favorites.  

@tylersnielsen, Could you elaborate more on why people wouldn't be able to use the iOS app(what about the android app?) when publication groups are implemented? We are about to implement the use of publication groups for our roll out and I would like to know of anything that people can and/or can't due because of using publication group. Thank you!
  • Since my post Domo has updated the iOS app and it now works with publication groups.  You can disregard what I said about that.  I believe the user is still restricted from using Favorites though (I haven't tested it for a few months).