Map Issues - Card Builder

Hello,

In our company we like to see information broken down by counties. I reviewed the DOMO University videos on building cards with Maps. 

1) County and State FIPS information is available in my data. 

2) My card starts off with a US map, where the FIPS will highlight the Texas state (only Texas state data in my dataset). This is good.

3) I create a drill path where, per the instructional video, I select US map and then use the county FIP information. But when I go to my card and drill down from Texas, there is no data on my card. 

**the instructional video states, there will be the no data message displayed while building the card but that the dataa should populate when you perform the drill down from the card.**

Please HELP!! 

Best Answer

• ckatzman
    ckatzman Contributor
    Answer ✓

@AaronS and DomoSupport were able to provide a solution here.  Apparently for the State Map card to work properly in the zoomed county & Zip code view, it is very particular in terms of the naming of the fields.  They MUST be exactly, 'State', 'FIPS' (including capitalization), and 'ZipCode'.  Other variations will not work, cannot re-label the field name, cannot manipulate the name as the result of a Beast Mode - it must be in the datasource, as shown.  

Aaron got us there by creating a DataFlow from our base dataset and just renaming the fields there so that the new "raw data source" appeared with the correct names.

I'm going to add something in Ideas Exchange for an enhancement to the functionality - this is very restrictive, and in our case, we have 3 different geo-markers that we may want to map within the same dataset (we are insurance, so we have a property location, a B2B customer location, and our remote sales agents), and it will be annoying to have to maintain a primary source and a couple of seperate DataFlows solely for the purpose of supporting a different map-base.

Thanks again, @AaronS, and DomoSupport as well, for helping us figure this out.  It will be a great improvement to have the maps that we always wanted to generate, and we'll work around the idiosyncratic behavior for a while.

**Say thank you by clicking the 'thumbs up'
    **Be sure to select the answer that represents the best solution and mark as "Accept as Solution"

Answers

• Rich
    Rich Domo Employee

How do I create county and zip code drilldown in a U.S. map?

You can create U.S. maps in which users can drill down on states to see values by both county and zipcode. For example, a U.S. map may show sales for western states, as follows:

US MAP.jpg

In this map, a user could click on the state of Oregon to show the sales for all of the counties in Oregon:

Oregon Map.jpg 

He or she could then click on Multnomah County (the small dark red county containing the city of Portland) to show sales by zip code within that county:

Multnomah County Map.jpg

To enable state and county drilldown, you must first create a DataFlow data source that joins two datasources—the data source with the values you want to show, and a data source with state, county, and zipcode information. With this data source, you can create a U.S. map with state and county drilldown enabled.

Creating the data source

The first step in building a map with drilldown is creating a data source with your values matched to the appropriate states, counties, and zip codes.

Creating map drilldown

With your new data source, you can now build a U.S. map with state- and county-level drill path.

To create a map with drill path:

1. In the page where you want the new card to appear, click Add Card.
    1. Click Design.
    1. Click Existing Data.
    1. Locate and select the data source you created in the previous set of steps.
    1. Click Select Data Source.  The Visualize your Data screen appears,
    1. Select United States as your chart type.
    1. In the value menu, select the column that contains the values you want to display.
    1. In the category menu, select State.
    1. Click Save & Finish.  The card is saved to the card page.
    1. Click the new card to open its Details
    1. In the Gear menu, select Edit Drill Path.
    1. Click Add a view.
    1. In the category menu, select FIPS.
    1. Click Save this View.
    1. Click Add a view.
    1. In the category menu, select ZipCode.
    1. Click Save this View.

The drilldown map is now complete. You can test it by returning to the Details view and clicking on a state. If the drill path was implemented correctly, a state-level view appears with counties showing. You can then click a county to show the zip code areas within that county.

• ckatzman
    ckatzman Contributor

@Rich Can you clarify for me how, on drilling down to a filtered state level, you display a zoomed view of just the focal state?  Is there a setting that i just haven't figured out somewhere?

**Be sure to select the answer that represents the best solution and mark as "Accept as Solution"
  • Are the zip codes required to see the county level map? 

• smurray
    smurray Domo Employee

you just need to set the category to the FIPS code, to get to the county level view.

or

under the step of adding a Drill path between the Add a View and Select FIPS you should select the US Counties Map on the right side (see image below):

1. In the Gear menu, select Edit Drill Path.
    1. Click Add a view.
    1. In the category menu, select FIPS.

Screen Shot 2016-05-03 at 4.10.05 PM.png

Then you can continue with the steps.

• ckatzman
    ckatzman Contributor

@smurray@Rich  I'm afraid i'm just being obtuse.  I have a dataset that has state code, has fips code, and i think has zip-code (not so worried about the latter for the moment).  I have a card that is top view of states.  I have a drill-down built beneath that based on FIPS, howwever when i click the state level to initiate a drill-down, what i see is the US Counties map for the entirety of the country, but only values are highlighted for the selected state.  So of course the counties are infinitesimally small.  

What are the mechanics to adjust the configuration so that when I click on Oregon (the example shown in this thread), I only see Oregon's counties, and not just highlighted counties for Oregen off in the corner of the entire United States county-level map?

Thank you!

• Rich
    Rich Domo Employee

@ckatzman no worries! When I've seen this with our global maps or maps of other countries this often means you have an outlier or a blank value. Let's say you drill down into Oregon. You're expecting to only see the counties of Oregon, but you're seeing all the counties across the country. What I've seen is your values in the drill are limited to Oregon entries and blanks. Since it doesn't know how to plot the blanks it doesn't got the oregon level, but stays at the country level. Is this true of your data?

• smurray
    smurray Domo Employee

@ckatzman

I think you are saying you see this:Screen Shot 2016-05-03 at 4.42.51 PM.png

and what you want to see is this:

Screen Shot 2016-05-03 at 4.44.24 PM.png

To get the top view you change the card type to the US Counties map. 

To get the bottom view you leave it as a US State Map, just like in the top level and you change the State Name field to the FIPS value. Like so:

Screen Shot 2016-05-03 at 4.46.17 PM.png

• ckatzman
    ckatzman Contributor

Ok, now i'm even having problems with my Dojo post skills... I swear I'm having my own personal iD10t kind of user-experience day.  

@smurray @Rich

I've made some dataset edits, added a filter to eliminate some records where my state value was blank in the top level card.  Went into my drill path, Edit, changed the card type from US Counties to United States (I presume that's the one meant when said US States).  FIPS was already present when it was Counties, and so it was still populated when that switched to States, but I removed it and reapplied anyway just to be on the safe side.  NOW, where I previously had a national counties view with results filtered to the select state, now I'm getting a national state view with NO results.  Thoughts?

DomoCountyMap.PNG

• smurray
    smurray Domo Employee

The Top level should be set to State.

• ckatzman
    ckatzman Contributor

As shown immediately below... yes?

DomoUnitedStates.PNGStatesCategory.PNG 

Then for the drill path, the next level map card type is also United States is I think what @smurray said, but the "State Name" is instead set to use the FIPS category value...?

StatesCategory_FIPS.PNG

The FIPS code works fine with the US Counties map card type, but is returning no values when applied to the United States card which intuitively is looking for State Name.  That's the piece I'm apparently not getting... am I using the right card type (and if no, can you provide a picture - I'm visual!), and even though it says "State", confirm that it's going to be able to read FIPS (12345, not "Oregon").  

• kshah008
    kshah008 Contributor

@ecenteno, did any of the above replies help you out?

• AaronS
    AaronS Domo Employee

This looks right to me, it's just not zooming in to the state level, even if you apply a filter to exclude null states and "0" FIPS codes (brought in because the originating datasource substitutes these values in for incomplete responses from customers).  After spending an hour on the phone with the customer and being unable to resolve it, I've sent a domobuzz message to DomoSupport to investigate.

Former Domo employee you can find me in the Dojo Community @AS
  • Guys,

Once Support addresses this let's update the thread with their recommendation. @AaronS Thanks for taking to the time to get on the phone with @ckatzman.

Regards,

Dani

• ckatzman
    ckatzman Contributor
    Answer ✓

@AaronS and DomoSupport were able to provide a solution here.  Apparently for the State Map card to work properly in the zoomed county & Zip code view, it is very particular in terms of the naming of the fields.  They MUST be exactly, 'State', 'FIPS' (including capitalization), and 'ZipCode'.  Other variations will not work, cannot re-label the field name, cannot manipulate the name as the result of a Beast Mode - it must be in the datasource, as shown.  

Aaron got us there by creating a DataFlow from our base dataset and just renaming the fields there so that the new "raw data source" appeared with the correct names.

I'm going to add something in Ideas Exchange for an enhancement to the functionality - this is very restrictive, and in our case, we have 3 different geo-markers that we may want to map within the same dataset (we are insurance, so we have a property location, a B2B customer location, and our remote sales agents), and it will be annoying to have to maintain a primary source and a couple of seperate DataFlows solely for the purpose of supporting a different map-base.

Thanks again, @AaronS, and DomoSupport as well, for helping us figure this out.  It will be a great improvement to have the maps that we always wanted to generate, and we'll work around the idiosyncratic behavior for a while.

• Thanks for your solution. but i want to clear the term "State" is what should it contains ? full state name like "Colorado" or just State Abbr like "CO"?

• @Gavatar,

Can add you comments here on the current functionality? This thread is from two years ago and we have made a lot of enhancements since then.

Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.