Conditional formatting of Columns in a table view card

We need more options to format columns in a card table view.  In particular the ability to colorize a group of columns that are in the same category, ex. Admitted 2016, Admitted 2015 Admitted 2014, Inquiry 2016 Inquiry 2015 Inquiry 2014

Best Answers

• GTA
    GTA Domo Employee
    Answer ✓

This is a current workaround to get this to work. I wanted to make sure that you note that because this is HTML, you won't be able to export to a Powerpoint and still see the colors.

The following Beast Mode examples will help you create conditional formatting on a standard (non-Sumo) table which I've used in the instances that a client needs a modified drill path table view. At present, these options are not available w/in Sumo tables but may be as development continues.

The formatting is accomplished by creating an HTML string which contains a DIV element where the background color changes based on user defined conditions. The three colors are "Domo" colors as well so it wil keep a consistent user experience.

Green Background (#bbe491):

CONCAT('<div style="background-color:#bbe491; width: 100%; height:100%; margin:-20px; padding:20px"><a href="#">', 'Green Conditional Format', '</a></div>')

Yellow Background (#fccf84):

CONCAT('<div style="background-color:#fccf84; width: 100%; height:100%; margin:-20px; padding:20px"><a href="#">', 'Yellow Conditional Format', '</a></div>')

Red Background (#fcbcb7):

CONCAT('<div style="background-color:#fcbcb7; width: 100%; height:100%; margin:-20px; padding:20px"><a href="#">', 'Red Conditional Format', '</a></div>')

Note: The <a> element with a reference to # prevents the user from drilling on that column as it would create a filter for the full HTML string.

Working Example:

CASE

WHEN `CHANGE` > 0 THEN CONCAT('<div style="background-color:#bbe491; width: 100%; height:100%; margin:-20px; padding:20px"><a href="#">', `CHANGE`, '</a></div>')

WHEN IFNULL(`CHANGE`, 0) = 0 THEN CONCAT('<div style="background-color:#fccf84; width: 100%; height:100%; margin:-20px; padding:20px"><a href="#">', `CHANGE`, '</a></div>')

WHEN `CHANGE` < 0 THEN CONCAT('<div style="background-color:#fcbcb7; width: 100%; height:100%; margin:-20px; padding:20px"><a href="#">', `CHANGE`, '</a></div>')

END

Screen Shot 2015-01-23 at 1.35.33 PM.png

Note: Keep in mind that the value this Beast Mode returns is a STRING, any aggregations must be done w/in Beast Mode as aggregations will be disabled when building cards.

• GTA
    GTA Domo Employee
    Answer ✓

If you just remove out the case statement and just leave the CONCAT, that should give you what you want. You would just create a different Beastmode for each column that applies to the category. 

Screen Shot

• Canioagain
    Canioagain Contributor
    Answer ✓

thanks I actually did exactly that :

WHEN Sum(`Returns`+ `In Yard` ) - Sum(`Committed` + `Unuseable`) < 0 THEN CONCAT('<div style="background-color:#fcbcb7; width: 100%; height:100%; margin:-20px; padding:20px"><a href="#">', Round(Sum(`Returns`+ `In Yard` ) - Sum(`Committed` + `Unuseable`)), '</a></div>')

Answers

• GTA
    GTA Domo Employee
    Answer ✓

This is a current workaround to get this to work. I wanted to make sure that you note that because this is HTML, you won't be able to export to a Powerpoint and still see the colors.

The following Beast Mode examples will help you create conditional formatting on a standard (non-Sumo) table which I've used in the instances that a client needs a modified drill path table view. At present, these options are not available w/in Sumo tables but may be as development continues.

The formatting is accomplished by creating an HTML string which contains a DIV element where the background color changes based on user defined conditions. The three colors are "Domo" colors as well so it wil keep a consistent user experience.

Green Background (#bbe491):

CONCAT('<div style="background-color:#bbe491; width: 100%; height:100%; margin:-20px; padding:20px"><a href="#">', 'Green Conditional Format', '</a></div>')

Yellow Background (#fccf84):

CONCAT('<div style="background-color:#fccf84; width: 100%; height:100%; margin:-20px; padding:20px"><a href="#">', 'Yellow Conditional Format', '</a></div>')

Red Background (#fcbcb7):

CONCAT('<div style="background-color:#fcbcb7; width: 100%; height:100%; margin:-20px; padding:20px"><a href="#">', 'Red Conditional Format', '</a></div>')

Note: The <a> element with a reference to # prevents the user from drilling on that column as it would create a filter for the full HTML string.

Working Example:

CASE

WHEN `CHANGE` > 0 THEN CONCAT('<div style="background-color:#bbe491; width: 100%; height:100%; margin:-20px; padding:20px"><a href="#">', `CHANGE`, '</a></div>')

WHEN IFNULL(`CHANGE`, 0) = 0 THEN CONCAT('<div style="background-color:#fccf84; width: 100%; height:100%; margin:-20px; padding:20px"><a href="#">', `CHANGE`, '</a></div>')

WHEN `CHANGE` < 0 THEN CONCAT('<div style="background-color:#fcbcb7; width: 100%; height:100%; margin:-20px; padding:20px"><a href="#">', `CHANGE`, '</a></div>')

END

Screen Shot 2015-01-23 at 1.35.33 PM.png

Note: Keep in mind that the value this Beast Mode returns is a STRING, any aggregations must be done w/in Beast Mode as aggregations will be disabled when building cards.

• Close enough though this will make my pure-play user squirm since it's not really configurable.  We just need the full column a single color so all the columns with the title "Admitted" will be the same column.

• GTA
    GTA Domo Employee
    Answer ✓

If you just remove out the case statement and just leave the CONCAT, that should give you what you want. You would just create a different Beastmode for each column that applies to the category. 

Screen Shot

• kshah008
    kshah008 Contributor

@jbanez-westmont, tagging you in case you haven't seen GTA's last response.

If GTA's post answered your question, please mark it as the solution!

• Resolved.  Thank you.

• Canioagain
    Canioagain Contributor

This is great!  I just used it and added a Sum statement to it

CASE

WHEN Sum(`Returns`+ `In Yard` ) - Sum(`Committed` + `Unuseable`) > 0 THEN CONCAT('<div style="background-color:#bbe491; width: 100%; height:100%; margin:-20px; padding:20px"><a href="#">', Sum(`Returns`+ `In Yard` ) - Sum(`Committed` + `Unuseable`), '</a></div>')

WHEN IFNULL(Sum(`Returns`+ `In Yard` ) - Sum(`Committed` + `Unuseable`), 0) = 0 THEN CONCAT('<div style="background-color:#fccf84; width: 100%; height:100%; margin:-20px; padding:20px"><a href="#">', Sum(`Returns`+ `In Yard` ) - Sum(`Committed` + `Unuseable`), '</a></div>')

WHEN Sum(`Returns`+ `In Yard` ) - Sum(`Committed` + `Unuseable`) < 0 THEN CONCAT('<div style="background-color:#fcbcb7; width: 100%; height:100%; margin:-20px; padding:20px"><a href="#">', Sum(`Returns`+ `In Yard` ) - Sum(`Committed` + `Unuseable`), '</a></div>')

END

Only problem is I'm getting a decimal place in my answer.  Any clue on how to use a Round in here to just give me a whole number?

• Jason
    Jason Member

In your CONCAT, throw a ROUND function around the resulting formula, and round to 0 places. For example: 

CASE

WHEN Sum(`Returns`+ `In Yard` ) - Sum(`Committed` + `Unuseable`) > 0 THEN CONCAT('<div style="background-color:#bbe491; width: 100%; height:100%; margin:-20px; padding:20px"><a href="#">', ROUND(Sum(`Returns`+ `In Yard` ) - Sum(`Committed` + `Unuseable`), 0) '</a></div>')

• Canioagain
    Canioagain Contributor
    Answer ✓

thanks I actually did exactly that :

WHEN Sum(`Returns`+ `In Yard` ) - Sum(`Committed` + `Unuseable`) < 0 THEN CONCAT('<div style="background-color:#fcbcb7; width: 100%; height:100%; margin:-20px; padding:20px"><a href="#">', Round(Sum(`Returns`+ `In Yard` ) - Sum(`Committed` + `Unuseable`)), '</a></div>')

• This solution doesn't work in "Pivot View" table card.

Any idea about implementing conditional formatting in pivot views?

• I am trying to use beast – mode to setup some html formats however it is not working for me, below is my code and output snippet for your reference:

Code line: 

<div style="color:green; font-weight:bold; margin:-20px; padding:20px">10.5631</div>

While tested on normal HTML page it worked perfectly.