How best to handle variations of a single dashboard?

dkonig
dkonig Member
edited April 2023 in Cards, Dashboards, Stories

Here is the situation. We have a master dashboard that have several cards on it. To keep it simple lets say there are 5 cards. Now, we show these dashboards to clients but not all cards are relevant to every client. In fact there is almost some variation. Let's just say each client has a unique variation. The way we handle it now is create a copy of the master dashboard and delete card(s) that is not needed for that client.

The above scenario isn't that complicated and it's manageable but when you scale up to 20+ cards then it becomes challenging. The potential combination of cards grows significantly. Now, some clients will use the same exact cards which reduces that number but we still end up with several "sub templates" that are just slight modifications of the master template. To make matters worse each template is called something like Template 401 which makes idnetifying what cards on in that template impossible without a rubric. Is there a better way to manage this?

Tagged:

Best Answer

• Godiepi
    Godiepi Coach
    edited April 2023 Answer ✓

Hello @user029082

Base on the information you provided I have the following suggestion. It definetly sounds like you have some ardous manual work to do ahead :)

I hope this points give you a light on how to make your reports a little easier to manage.

1. Lets focus first on identifying what is contained in each template (I guess each template represents a page or sub page in your instance). for this, you should look at the governance datasets , in specific the "Pages and Cards" report. This report will tell you exactly what cards exist in every page (Take in cosideration some cards might be named exactly the same but with a different CardID)
    2. Once that is done, my idea is to get a Standard report. This report will hold the cards that every of your customers want to see. Some customer might not be interested in seeing one or two of the cards you include in that report but as long they are complementary of the story you want to tell in it, it does not hurt to have them available.
    3. Then create sub-reports , these are the extra cards or variations specific to certain customers that could be even shared within two or more of your customers

I think this is a good start, I don't how you provide these reports (your customer has access to your instance, these are schedule reports etc)

Domo Arigato!

**Say 'Thanks' by clicking the thumbs up in the post that helped you.
    **Please mark the post that solves your problem as 'Accepted Solution'

Answers

• Godiepi
    Godiepi Coach
    edited April 2023 Answer ✓

Hello @user029082

Base on the information you provided I have the following suggestion. It definetly sounds like you have some ardous manual work to do ahead :)

I hope this points give you a light on how to make your reports a little easier to manage.

1. Lets focus first on identifying what is contained in each template (I guess each template represents a page or sub page in your instance). for this, you should look at the governance datasets , in specific the "Pages and Cards" report. This report will tell you exactly what cards exist in every page (Take in cosideration some cards might be named exactly the same but with a different CardID)
    2. Once that is done, my idea is to get a Standard report. This report will hold the cards that every of your customers want to see. Some customer might not be interested in seeing one or two of the cards you include in that report but as long they are complementary of the story you want to tell in it, it does not hurt to have them available.
    3. Then create sub-reports , these are the extra cards or variations specific to certain customers that could be even shared within two or more of your customers

I think this is a good start, I don't how you provide these reports (your customer has access to your instance, these are schedule reports etc)

Domo Arigato!

**Say 'Thanks' by clicking the thumbs up in the post that helped you.
    **Please mark the post that solves your problem as 'Accepted Solution'
  • Thanks for the feedback. I need to check on how the reports are shared. I kind of think the jump into the template they have created and filter based on project and then share that on a call. Perhaps they print it out to PDF or something like that as well. I guess how it is shared will play a big roll on how this is built.

I'll need to spend some time understanding what is capable with governance. If we could have a stand report(s)(for a clients/customers, and they can only filter the reports for their own company then would be great. The only control the would have would be changing date ranges and the name of the marketing program we are running for them.