Reuse Beast Mode field in another calcuation

b_rad
b_rad Contributor
edited April 10 in Beast Mode Ideas

Requesting to allow Beast Mode field created in a card to be used in another calculation. This feature is currently available in the "Add Formula" function in Magic ETL but not for beast mode calculations done in Analyzer.

30 votes

Implemented · Last Updated

This feature was recently released to all customers. Thanks for submitting your ideas and helping us improve our product!

Comments

• This feature is coming soon. I believe i was mentioned briefly during Domopalooza 2023, but I'm not sure if a date was revealed as to when this functionality will exist.

**Check out my Domo Tips & Tricks Videos

**Make sure to <3 any users posts that helped you.
    **Please mark as accepted the ones who solved your issue.
  • user08845
    user08845 Contributor
    edited August 2023

Currently in Magic ETL 2.0 the formula tile allows us to create a formula and then in a subsequent formula reference the name in another formula without re-pasting the entire formula. This functionality does not exist in Beastmodes yet. I would love to see this functionality work in beastmodes. Longer beastmodes get really difficult to use in subsequent beastmodes and super difficult to read and understand what is happening in the beastmode. This has become more common with the introduction of Variables. I've been moving more formulas into Beastmodes instead of hardcoded in Magic ETL.

• Even if this is just via Macro style substitution/include, my unwieldy Beast Modes would be nicely tamed and much more manageable.

• brycec
    brycec Contributor

Was this comment helpful? Click Agree or Like below.
    Did this comment solve your problem? Accept it as the solution!

• This idea has been tossed around ever since BeastModes were released lol

Happy to see that it is finally coming (per another comment)!

• Casey_Dorman {Domo}
    Casey_Dorman {Domo} Contributor
    edited August 2023

Working with Telus Communications recently, a recurring request was brought up involving better user experience with Beast Modes. Essentially, they advised it would be great to be able to create a BeastMode column from another BeastMode column.

Is this possible? Something that can be added to roadmap?

• JasonAltenburg
    edited April 8

I think there is some utility for this but without any sort of column level lineage or traceability it quickly could create dependency chains that would be a nightmare to track down.

• dacorson
    dacorson Member
    edited April 8

This has been possible in PowerBI for years - nesting beast modes. Domo should be able to do it.

• dacorson
    dacorson Member
    edited April 8

There is another post about nesting beast modes, which I think is what you want:

I know you posted first, but that post has more upvotes so far. I'd like to see this feature, too.

• ColemenWilson
    edited April 8

This was just announced today as a new Domo feature release! Reach out to your CSM for beta access!

If I solved your problem, please select "yes" above

• This feature is currently in Beta! If you are interested in joining the Beta, reach out to your CSM!

Matt Tannyhill

Domo – Product Manager

Data Analysis & Visualization

• Matt Tannyhill
    Matt Tannyhill Contributor
    edited April 8

This feature is currently in Beta! If you are interested in joining the Beta, reach out to your CSM!

Matt Tannyhill

Domo – Product Manager

• Matt Tannyhill
    Matt Tannyhill Contributor
    edited April 8

This feature is currently in Beta! If you are interested in joining the Beta, reach out to your CSM!

Matt Tannyhill

Domo – Product Manager

This discussion has been closed.