Mass Disablement of Data Flows (Data Management)

robkoste
robkoste Member
edited April 2023 in APIs & Domo Developer

Hi All

As a Domo admin, our team is working on some clean up activities and want to disable (and maybe eventually delete) old/out of date/no longer running data flows. Disabling can be done through the UI 1 flow at a time however looking to see if there is a way to call an api or admin utility to do a mass or scripted disablement? Looking through the developer.domo.com I don't see any api's available to do this.

Best Answer

• AndreaLovesData
    AndreaLovesData Domo Product Manager
    Answer ✓

You can multi-select dataflows from the Dataflows tab in the Data Center and then disable all selected dataflows at once, which is definitely quicker than doing them one by one, but I assume you would like to do it in greater bulk than that, correct?

There's not a published API for disabling dataflows, but you can sniff out the API by performing the action while watching the Network tab in Developer Tools (that's where it's located in Chrome - might be called something else in another browser). You can then write a script to iterate through a file of dataflow IDs (and whatever other pieces of info are part of the API call, I'm assuming dataflow ID is one required piece). Since those APIs are not published I wouldn't recommend creating long-term, ongoing processes based on them (they might change and there wouldn't be a way for you to know), but I've had success using them to avoid manual work for ad hoc tasks (like one-time cleanups). I've never used the API for disabling dataflows, but I've used APIs for other data center tasks with success (like sharing datasets).

Domo Product Manager for Data Transformation (MagicETL)

Answers

• AndreaLovesData
    AndreaLovesData Domo Product Manager
    Answer ✓

You can multi-select dataflows from the Dataflows tab in the Data Center and then disable all selected dataflows at once, which is definitely quicker than doing them one by one, but I assume you would like to do it in greater bulk than that, correct?

There's not a published API for disabling dataflows, but you can sniff out the API by performing the action while watching the Network tab in Developer Tools (that's where it's located in Chrome - might be called something else in another browser). You can then write a script to iterate through a file of dataflow IDs (and whatever other pieces of info are part of the API call, I'm assuming dataflow ID is one required piece). Since those APIs are not published I wouldn't recommend creating long-term, ongoing processes based on them (they might change and there wouldn't be a way for you to know), but I've had success using them to avoid manual work for ad hoc tasks (like one-time cleanups). I've never used the API for disabling dataflows, but I've used APIs for other data center tasks with success (like sharing datasets).

Domo Product Manager for Data Transformation (MagicETL)