Join with Between Clause in Magic ETL

I am working on converting some Redshift dataflows to Magic ETL 2.0 dataflows. I have a join statement in Redshift that looks like this:

SELECT d."province_state"
, c."Category" as SeverityRelativityCategory
, n."Category" as SeverityRelativityCategoryMinusNY
FROM "ihme_covid_19_population_death_shares" d 
JOIN "severity_relativity_categories" c on d."SeverityRelativity" BETWEEN c."MinAmt" AND c."MaxAmt"
JOIN "severity_relativity_categories" n on d."SeverityRelativityMinusNY"BETWEEN n."MinAmt" AND n."MaxAmt"

I'm not seeing an easy way to handle the BETWEEN clause using the JOIN tile in Magic ETL 2.0. How can I accomplish this?

**Check out my Domo Tips & Tricks Videos

**Make sure to <3 any users posts that helped you.
**Please mark as accepted the ones who solved your issue.

Best Answer

• GrantSmith
    GrantSmith Coach
    Answer ✓

Hi @MarkSnodgrass

Magic ETL doesn't support a conditional join, only a straight columnar join.

The option you can do is perform a Cartesian join and then user a filter tile after the fact. To do that, add a constant of 1 to both of your datasets and then join on that column. The Cartesian join causes the number of records to explode which you then have to filter through so it's the most efficient but should get you what you want.

**Was this post helpful? Click Agree or Like below**
    **Did this solve your problem? Accept it as a solution!**

Answers

• GrantSmith
    GrantSmith Coach
    Answer ✓

Hi @MarkSnodgrass

Magic ETL doesn't support a conditional join, only a straight columnar join.

The option you can do is perform a Cartesian join and then user a filter tile after the fact. To do that, add a constant of 1 to both of your datasets and then join on that column. The Cartesian join causes the number of records to explode which you then have to filter through so it's the most efficient but should get you what you want.

**Was this post helpful? Click Agree or Like below**
    **Did this solve your problem? Accept it as a solution!**
  • Thanks @GrantSmith ! That did the trick. Here is a visual of what it ended up looking like for anyone else who needs to do the same thing.

**Check out my Domo Tips & Tricks Videos

**Make sure to <3 any users posts that helped you.
    **Please mark as accepted the ones who solved your issue.
  • jaeW_at_Onyx
    jaeW_at_Onyx Coach
    edited February 2021

@MarkSnodgrass a little late for the party, but here's an alternative to doing a full on cartesian product.

i'm assuming your dataset is relatively small so multiplying Table A times the number of rows in Table B isn't THAT big a deal.

For a solution that scales (in certain use cases), you can duplicate table C and N by the row by the number of rows between Min and Max Amount

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOiT3FjQ7K8

Jae Wilson
    Check out my 🎥 Domo Training YouTube Channel 👨‍💻

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the ❤️ in the post that helped you.
    **Please mark the post that solves your problem by clicking on "Accept as Solution"
  • SeanPT
    SeanPT Contributor

@jaeW_at_Onyx 's video saved my butt because I've gone DEEP down the rabbit hole with Magic v2 and ran face first into needing a BETWEEN JOIN.

That trick will absolutely work for me .... for now. I add 48 rows every day. So, a year from now ... sum=[n*(n+1)]/2

153,483,960 rows :/

• @SeanPT thaaaaats gonna get expensive. do you want to post a screenshot of what you've currently got and describe the JOIN?

Jae Wilson

**Please mark the post that solves your problem by clicking on "Accept as Solution"
  • Jae Wilson