Working of Date range and Compare to In Period over Period Graph

Hi,

Can someone help with the explanation as to how the Date range and Compare to works in a Period over period graph when i select the last 30 days value and compare it with 180 days values.

My goal here is to compare the last 30 days value with the overall value for the field selected.

Best Answer

• GrantSmith
    GrantSmith Coach
    Answer ✓

Hi @user02319 

The date range field determines how much data you wish to have displayed on your card so in your example it would show just the last 30 days worth of data.

Compare To says I want to take a given time period (in your example days) and compare each of those to 180 days ago. So on your graph it would compare the date January 13, 2021 to July 17, 2020 and January 12, 2021 to Friday, July 16, 2020 on a day by day basis.

An important note is that this happens after any filters are applied to your dataset on your card.

This won't show you the 30 day total and compare it with the 180 day total. If you're wanting to do that you'd need to calculate the total using a beast mode. For example if you wanted to get the total from the last 30 days:

SUM(CASE WHEN `Date` >= DATE_SUB(CURRENT_DATE, INTERVAL 30 DAY) THEN `Amount` ELSE 0 END)

(this is assuming you don't have the date in one of your axis / on your chart)

You can also simply get the total by doing another beast mode:

SUM(`Amount`)

(again, assuming you don't have any other fields to partition your totals)

Are you looking to graph a running 30 day total over time or just simply want the last 30 day total?

**Was this post helpful? Click Agree or Like below**
    **Did this solve your problem? Accept it as a solution!**

Answers

• GrantSmith
    GrantSmith Coach
    Answer ✓

Hi @user02319 

The date range field determines how much data you wish to have displayed on your card so in your example it would show just the last 30 days worth of data.

Compare To says I want to take a given time period (in your example days) and compare each of those to 180 days ago. So on your graph it would compare the date January 13, 2021 to July 17, 2020 and January 12, 2021 to Friday, July 16, 2020 on a day by day basis.

An important note is that this happens after any filters are applied to your dataset on your card.

This won't show you the 30 day total and compare it with the 180 day total. If you're wanting to do that you'd need to calculate the total using a beast mode. For example if you wanted to get the total from the last 30 days:

SUM(CASE WHEN `Date` >= DATE_SUB(CURRENT_DATE, INTERVAL 30 DAY) THEN `Amount` ELSE 0 END)

(this is assuming you don't have the date in one of your axis / on your chart)

You can also simply get the total by doing another beast mode:

SUM(`Amount`)

(again, assuming you don't have any other fields to partition your totals)

Are you looking to graph a running 30 day total over time or just simply want the last 30 day total?

**Was this post helpful? Click Agree or Like below**
    **Did this solve your problem? Accept it as a solution!**
  • Hi @GrantSmith 

We wanted to compare the last 30days sum with all time sum value.
    Currently we are comparing the last 30days value with the previous 30 days value.

Thanks for the explanation.

• sum(case when date ... then amount) / sum(amount)

Jae Wilson
    Check out my 🎥 Domo Training YouTube Channel 👨‍💻

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the ❤️ in the post that helped you.
    **Please mark the post that solves your problem by clicking on "Accept as Solution"
This discussion has been closed.