SQL transform - Duration (mins) between two Datetime Columns

Hi,

I am trying to get the difference between two Datetime Columns, I went through the below post to achieve the same using Beast mode.

But, I want to get the difference in minutes and create a new column based on this condition.

https://dojo.domo.com/t5/Beast-Mode-ETL-Dataflow/Beastmode-Duration-mins-between-2-Datetime-Columns/m-p/21801#M2390

Please suggest, thanks in advance!

Best Answers

• GrantSmith
    GrantSmith Coach
    Answer ✓

Hi @Khan_Naziya 

I've found unix_timestamp function to be great in cases like this. If you convert two datetimes to unix timstamp it'll give you the number of seconds since 1970-01-01. Simple math would get you the number in unit of minutes.

Here's a BeastMode function that will calculate time between timestamps in minutes (with decimal)

(UNIX_TIMESTAMP(`ResponseTimeUTC`) - UNIX_TIMESTAMP(`CreatedTimeUTC`)) / 60

I wrote a more advanced summary of this you can read here: https://dojo.domo.com/t5/Beast-Mode-ETL-Dataflow/Date-Calculations-minutes-and-seconds/m-p/49259/highlight/true#M8465

**Was this post helpful? Click Agree or Like below**
    **Did this solve your problem? Accept it as a solution!**
  • GrantSmith
    GrantSmith Coach
    Answer ✓

TIMESTAMPDIFF(MINUTE, ...) calculates whole minutes that have passed between the two timestamps so it makes sense you're seeing 10 (essentially it's truncating instead of rounding) instead of 11. If you want to round to the nearest minute you can just utilize the ROUND(..., 0) function

Answers

• Khan
    Khan Member

I think I accomplished what I needed using below query, but is there a way to get the decimal part?

SELECT `ResponseTimeUTC`,`CreatedTimeUTC`,
    TIMESTAMPDIFF(MINUTE,`CreatedTimeUTC`,`ResponseTimeUTC`) AS RESPONSETIME
    from table;

• GrantSmith
    GrantSmith Coach
    Answer ✓

Hi @Khan_Naziya 

I've found unix_timestamp function to be great in cases like this. If you convert two datetimes to unix timstamp it'll give you the number of seconds since 1970-01-01. Simple math would get you the number in unit of minutes.

Here's a BeastMode function that will calculate time between timestamps in minutes (with decimal)

I wrote a more advanced summary of this you can read here: https://dojo.domo.com/t5/Beast-Mode-ETL-Dataflow/Date-Calculations-minutes-and-seconds/m-p/49259/highlight/true#M8465

• Khan
    Khan Member

Thanks @GrantSmith !

Using below Query, I can see the decimal part now.

ResponseTimeUTCCreatedTimeUTCRESPONSETIME(Min)
    2020-02-01 00:14:362020-02-01 00:03:4010.9333

Earlier the TIMESTAMPDIFF(MINUTE,`CreatedTimeUTC`,`L1_ResponseTimeUTC`) was rounding off to 10. That is why I want to see decimal part. As I see the decimal part in 10.9333, this should be rounded off to nearest integer i.e.,11.

• GrantSmith
    GrantSmith Coach
    Answer ✓

TIMESTAMPDIFF(MINUTE, ...) calculates whole minutes that have passed between the two timestamps so it makes sense you're seeing 10 (essentially it's truncating instead of rounding) instead of 11. If you want to round to the nearest minute you can just utilize the ROUND(..., 0) function