Running Total Window Function not working

I've got the following BeastMode to calculate the running total over time based on the date. I've utilize window functions before but this one doesn't seem to work. It keeps failing with an error "An issue has occurred during processing. We are unable to complete the request at this time." (It'd be nice if we had better error messages.)

It's a simple line graph with the `dated` field on the x-axis and this beast mode on the y-axis.

SUM(SUM(`totalamt`)) OVER(ORDER BY `dated`)

I know I could utilize other graph types (like the running total card) but this will eventually be combined with other data elements on the same graph.

And ideas to why I might be getting this error?

**Was this post helpful? Click Agree or Like below**
**Did this solve your problem? Accept it as a solution!**

Best Answer

• GrantSmith
    GrantSmith Coach
    Answer ✓

I figured out the reason was that the windowed function beast mode won't work if the date is being graphed by anything other than "None". This is likely because it's trying to slice / window the data twice or two different ways.

Answers

• i tried really hard to break my table card ... it still worked.

does the BM work as a table card?

is there any chance of dated being NULL? -- my BM works even with nulls in the dated column.

@GrantSmith 

Jae Wilson
    Check out my 🎥 Domo Training YouTube Channel 👨‍💻

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the ❤️ in the post that helped you.
    **Please mark the post that solves your problem by clicking on "Accept as Solution"
  • Didn't work as a table card. No chance of it being null.

Just doesn't make sense to me because I've done this a bunch of times before and it's a very simplistic beast mode.

If I take out the ORDER BY `dated` section it'll work just fine (and of course not give me a running total).

I've even tried filtering the date on the card to be from a single date and it won't work

• GrantSmith
    GrantSmith Coach
    Answer ✓

I figured out the reason was that the windowed function beast mode won't work if the date is being graphed by anything other than "None". This is likely because it's trying to slice / window the data twice or two different ways.