nested case for arithmetic operators

Hi, 

I've been having troubles with MySQL dataflow trying to write a code basically doing something like this:

(CASE WHEN week = 1 THEN (a/b) END) - (c/d) * e

i tried writing it down like this:

(CASE WHEN `Week` = "1" THEN SUM((CASE WHEN `8Q` = "POR" AND `Fiscal_Year` = "FY19" THEN(`8Q_Price`*`Tons`) END))
/ SUM((CASE WHEN `8Q` = "POR" AND `Fiscal_Year` = "FY19" THEN `Tons` END)) END)  ----- (CASE when week = 1 THEN (a/b) END) ------

-

(SUM((CASE WHEN `8Q` = "POR" AND `Fiscal_Year` = "FY19" THEN(`8Q_Price`*`Tons`) END))
/ SUM((CASE WHEN `8Q` = "POR" AND `Fiscal_Year` = "FY19" THEN `Tons` END))) ----(c/d)----

SUM((CASE WHEN `8Q` = "POR" AND `Fiscal_Year` = "FY19" THEN `Tons` END)) ----e-----

I am not having syntax errors with this code but I keep on getting wrong answers even if I change the groupings. Can you guys recommend something?

Thanks!

p.s. a colleague of mine recommended to use a CREATE FUNCTION statement, will it work in our MySQL Dataflow?

Best Answer

• Property_Ninja
    Property_Ninja Contributor
    Answer ✓

Hey drewfig,

No worries. I moved some of the parentheses around so this should work for what you described above.

((SUM(CASE WHEN `8Q` = "POR" AND `Fiscal_Year` = "FY19" and `Week` = "1" THEN `8Q_Price`*`Tons` END)
    /
    SUM(CASE WHEN `8Q` = "POR" AND `Fiscal_Year` = "FY19" and `Week` = "1" THEN `Tons` END)) ----- (CASE when week = 1 THEN (a/b) END) ------
    -
    (SUM(CASE WHEN `8Q` = "POR" AND `Fiscal_Year` = "FY19" THEN `8Q_Price`*`Tons` END)
    / SUM(CASE WHEN `8Q` = "POR" AND `Fiscal_Year` = "FY19" THEN `Tons` END))) ----(c/d)----
    SUM(CASE WHEN `8Q` = "POR" AND `Fiscal_Year` = "FY19" THEN `Tons` END) ----e-

Hope this helps,

Brian

**Please mark "Accept as Solution" if this post solves your problem
    **Say "Thanks" by clicking the "heart" in the post that helped you.

Answers

• Hello Drewfig,

Based on the order of operations, you want your algorithm to divide a and b then divide c and d then multiply the results of c/d by e and then subtract the results of (a/b) and (c/d*e). 

(SUM(CASE WHEN `8Q` = "POR" AND `Fiscal_Year` = "FY19" and `Week` = "1" THEN `8Q_Price`*`Tons` END)
    /
    SUM(CASE WHEN `8Q` = "POR" AND `Fiscal_Year` = "FY19" and `Week` = "1" THEN `Tons` END)) ----- (CASE when week = 1 THEN (a/b) END) ------
    -
    ((SUM(CASE WHEN `8Q` = "POR" AND `Fiscal_Year` = "FY19" THEN `8Q_Price`*`Tons` END)
    / SUM(CASE WHEN `8Q` = "POR" AND `Fiscal_Year` = "FY19" THEN `Tons` END)) ----(c/d)----
    SUM(CASE WHEN `8Q` = "POR" AND `Fiscal_Year` = "FY19" THEN `Tons` END)) ----e-

The above will work for what you described in your post.

Hope this helps,

Brian

• Hey Brian,

Thanks for taking time to check on my question. actually what we wanted to do is to subtract the results of (a/b) and (c/d) and then the result of the subtraction will be multiplied by e.

It will be like ((a/b) - (c/d)) * e.

I apologize for the confusion yesterday. can you help revising the code? thanks!

• Property_Ninja
    Property_Ninja Contributor
    Answer ✓

Hey drewfig,

No worries. I moved some of the parentheses around so this should work for what you described above.

((SUM(CASE WHEN `8Q` = "POR" AND `Fiscal_Year` = "FY19" and `Week` = "1" THEN `8Q_Price`*`Tons` END)
    /
    -
    (SUM(CASE WHEN `8Q` = "POR" AND `Fiscal_Year` = "FY19" THEN `8Q_Price`*`Tons` END)
    / SUM(CASE WHEN `8Q` = "POR" AND `Fiscal_Year` = "FY19" THEN `Tons` END))) ----(c/d)----
    SUM(CASE WHEN `8Q` = "POR" AND `Fiscal_Year` = "FY19" THEN `Tons` END) ----e-

Hope this helps,

Brian