Forcing X-axis to populate missing dates

Hello Domo people,

I’m trying to display data from JIRA in which the X-axis is a series of dates. However there are several dates which have no data and as a result do not appear in the Domo data set. 

I’d like to include days that have no data so that the timescale is consistent. Is there a way to do this easily in Domo? I didn’t see any options in the chart properties. Perhaps if Domo recognized the values as dates it would fill the missing values in?

Would you recommend doing this with a dataflow? I've been playing around with some SQL statements, but it doesn't seem like a good fit.

I could do it easily as a one-off in Excel but as this JIRA data is dynamic I would prefer to keep the graph display dynamic as well.

Thank you for your help.

Best Answer

• jmo
    jmo Contributor
    Answer ✓

@Jacob This should work out of the box. What chart type are you using?

On the line and bar charts there is a feature called "Time Scale" which makes sure that zeros are populated whenever data is missing for dates. There is a chart option under the x-axis that allows you to turn the feature off (it is on by default).

There is a chance it won't work if your dates are not cast correctly. Is your date in the date-grain dropdown?

-----
    I work for Domo.
    **Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumbs up in the post that helped you.
    **Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"

Answers

• jmo
    jmo Contributor
    Answer ✓

@Jacob This should work out of the box. What chart type are you using?

On the line and bar charts there is a feature called "Time Scale" which makes sure that zeros are populated whenever data is missing for dates. There is a chart option under the x-axis that allows you to turn the feature off (it is on by default).

There is a chance it won't work if your dates are not cast correctly. Is your date in the date-grain dropdown?

-----
    I work for Domo.
    **Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumbs up in the post that helped you.
    **Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
  • Hello jmo,

Thank you for your response. I'm trying to use a stacked area graph. That looks to be my problem as I see the X-axis populated correctly with missing data if I use the line or bar types. It would be helpful if this difference was highlighted in some way.

• i am currently using a line bar graph but do not see the "time scale" options. Please assits

• Hi there!

I'm trying to group my dates by week. I'm using this formula in beast mode:

CONCAT(DATE_FORMAT(SUBDATE(`Date`,WEEKDAY(`Date`)-1),'%b %d'),' - ',DATE_FORMAT(SUBDATE(`Date`,WEEKDAY(`Date`)-7),'%b %d %Y'))

Problem is, when I group like this, I lose the feature of showing 0 values for dates. Please help - thank you!

This discussion has been closed.