Is it possible to comment on transforms when creating a data flow?

Is it possible to add a comment on transforms when creating a data flow? Ideally, I would like to leave a note stating the purpose of the transform so that the steps taken to create the data flow can be determined at a glance.

Comments

• RGranada
    RGranada Contributor

Hi,

You can leave comments inside the transform with the following syntax:

--Comment line 12345!"#$%

Hope this helps.

Ricardo Granada 

MajorDomo@Lusiaves

**If the post solves your problem, mark it by clicking on "Accept as Solution"
    **You can say "Thank you" by clicking the thumbs up in the post that helped you.
  • AS
    AS Coach

To Ricardo's point, that's the most common SQL dataflow comment option. Or /* comments */  if you want to go across multiple lines.

But I guess you didn't really say if you were doing a SQL dataflow or a Magic ETL dataflow.  Magic ETL doesn't really have a description field, per say, but you can change the name of the action and those names can be pretty long.  Maybe insert some commentary there?

Aaron
    MajorDomo @ Merit Medical

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the heart in the post that helped you.
    **Please mark the post that solves your problem by clicking on "Accept as Solution"
  • That was actually an idea I was going to add to the idea exchange.  It would be really helpful to have the ability to add text boxes to Magic ETL so that notes can be added.  Updating the names only gets you so far.  Sometimes I want to make notes about the dataflow, in general, or sections of the dataflow. 

DataMaven
    Breaking Down Silos - Building Bridges
    **Say "Thanks" by clicking a reaction in the post that helped you.
    **Please mark the post that solves your problem by clicking on "Accept as Solution"
  • extending on this.

a very nice simple idea here, the addition of a 'description' box in the config of the Magic ELT action box would be great. would be nice to see this on any configurable item. like a technical description field for admins only.

rgds,

K.

• YES PLEASE!!!

DataMaven
    Breaking Down Silos - Building Bridges
    **Say "Thanks" by clicking a reaction in the post that helped you.
  • What happened to this functionality in MySQL?  I have three fields I was removing from a MySQL dataflow:

--`Store_Visits_28dayClick`,
    --`Store_Visits_28dayView`,
    --`Store_Visits`, 

When I -- to comment the 3 fields I get the following in my output:

SQL-Comments-SYNTAX.png

Fields_list.png

/* Comment here */ Still works:  

/*--`Store_Visits_28dayClick`,
    --`Store_Visits_28dayView`,
    --`Store_Visits`, */