Feature Request: Don't use env, and clean up graceful-fs

I'm triyng to get ryuu up and running on cloud9.io, and I've run into a few issues.

The first one is that c9.io installs nvm by default, and the domo shell script doesn't like it:

woganmay:~ $ domo
/usr/bin/env: node --harmony: No such file or directory

I do have node, installed and managed via nvm:

woganmay:~ $ which node
/home/ubuntu/.nvm/versions/node/v6.1.0/bin/node

That's resolved through a symlink at /usr/bin/node - and in most cases a symlink like that should make node work correctly. Not for ryuu though, which is why I've had to change it from this:

#!/usr/bin/env node --harmony

To this:

#!/usr/bin/node --harmony

It now works more or less as expected.

woganmay:~ $ domo -v
(node:1635) fs: re-evaluating native module sources is not supported. If you are using the graceful-fs module, please update it to a more recent version.

And there's the second issue - the dependency for graceful-fs is outdated. I also get errors related to that when installing ryuu. Would be nice if they could be cleaned up

Comments

• I still get this error when installing the latest version of ryuu:

npm WARN deprecated graceful-fs@3.0.8: graceful-fs v3.0.0 and before will fail on node releases >= v7.0. Please update to graceful-fs@^4.0.0 as soon as possible. Use 'npm ls graceful-fs' to find it in the tree.
  • product_John
    product_John Domo Employee

Hello @woganmay, thanks for taking the time to post your question here.  We are not currently supporting Cloud9 with our tool.  This is a great idea though and I will make sure to get it on our backlog.

Our developer portal outlines the installation guidelines we currently support:  https://developer.domo.com/docs/dev-studio/dev-studio-get-started

Would it be ok if I reach out sometime soon for some more information on how you are using Cloud9 as an online development environment?

Product Manager, Domo Apps
  • Hi @product_John - I don't think it's as much about supporting cloud9 specifically, but more nvm generally, which is used pretty widely in the node community: https://github.com/creationix/nvm .

I'll be trying to set up Dev Studio on a pure Linux machine later today, and will test if nvm is really the cause.

And yes! Reach out whenever. You should be able to PM me directly here via Dojo.

• I just tried setting it up on a brand new Linux Mint installation. I used the jessie/sid repository versions of Node, and ran into the same problem with the domo app - taking out "env" fixed it.

I'm going to rebuild the machine and try installing Node directly from their repositories.

• product_John
    product_John Domo Employee

@woganmay - let me go talk to our engineering group today.  I mentioned this late last evening and their first reaction was that it should be fine.  I might reach out for some more information from you if that is ok.  

Product Manager, Domo Apps
This discussion has been closed.